Why are Signup Events Being Underreported in Google Analytics?
- Is your Google Analytics tracker correctly installed? Follow these setup instructions.
- Do you have any Filters applied to your Google Analytics reports? Filters may remove some of the data from your Analytics reports.
- Is the timezone setting the same in both Google Analytics and Prefinery?
- Is your browser blocking analytics trackers? See below for a list of common ways in which browsers block analytics trackers.
In practice, we have commonly seen the Signups reported in Google Analytics to be around 25-30% less than the actual number of people who have signed up for your campaign, as reported in Prefinery. Some common reasons for the data being underreported in Google Analytics are:
- The person is using a browser extension which blocks traffic to Google Analytics, such as an ad blocker,
- The person is using a browser which blocks traffic to Google Analytics, such as Brave,
- The person has enabled an analytics blocking feature in their browser, such as the Prevent cross-site tracking feature in Safari 14,
- The person signs up and then closes their browser window before the event can be reported to Google Analytics,
- The person is using a firewall (or behind a network where a firewall is deployed) which blocks traffic to Google Analytics.
- Prefinery uses a cookie to prevent multiple page views and events from being recorded by the same person.