How to Send Email via a SendGrid SMTP Server
You can set up a custom SMTP server such that Prefinery emails are sent to your users through your own SMTP server, and not through Prefinery's servers.
Please note that using a custom SMTP server will change which email metrics Prefinery can track for you. When using a custom SMTP server, we can no longer track clicks, bounces and spam complaints. However, we will continue to track email opens and unsubscribes.
To add a custom SMTP server, follow these steps:
1. Click on the Email link in the left-hand sidebar and then on Addresses. Add the email address from which you will be sending your email campaign. Be sure to confirm this email address by clicking the confirmation link that we send you via email. Note: You do not need to verify this domain if you will be using your own SMTP server.
2. [In SendGrid] Be sure to add the same email address you specified in step #1, above, to SendGrid as a Verified Sender by following this SendGrid guide.
3. Click on the Settings menu in the upper-left corner, then on Project Settings. From there, click the Custom SMTP Server link and enable the feature.
4. Enter your SMTP server credentials. For SendGrid, you will need to specify the following:
- Address: smtp.sendgrid.net
- Port: 587
- Domain: <leave blank>
- Authentication: Login
- User name: apikey
- Password: <your SendGrid API key>
- TLS: Enabled
5. Once you click Save you will see a " Testing Connection" message while a test email is attempted to be sent to you via your SendGrid SMTP server from the address you added in step #2. If the connection fails, be sure to double-check the credentials you added in step #4 and be sure that you have added the sender email address to SendGrid, as specified in step #2.